TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language
(Test of English as a Foreign Language), designed by ETS, is an internationally recognised and globally standardiszed English language test that evaluates English Language Proficiency of the applicant’s who wants to pursue their education in Germany. TOEFL is accepted and acknowledged by a multitude of universities, institutions and companies as official language certificate and predominantly address students who wish to study in Germany.
English acceptance scores are different for various courses. To apply for DAAD scholarship IELTES
Certificate or TOEFL minimum scores are- 550 points paper-based, 213 points computer-based, 80 points internet-based is generally required.
FormatTOEFL Internet based (iBT)
Internet based (iBT): The TOEFL iBT test measures your skills to understand and use English at the level necessary for university studies and to perform academic tasks. It measures your knowledge in four areas: reading, listening, speaking and writing.
- Section 1: Reading- The reading section has 3 or 4 passages and 36-56 questions in total. The time limit for this section is 60-80 minutes. This section assesses your ability to read and understand the passages in English.
- Section 2: Listening- This section requires you to listen to classroom discussions, lectures and then answer questions based on them. It has 34-51 questions and the duration is 60-90 minutes.
- Section 3: Speaking- This section requires you to state your views, communicate your thoughts on a particular topic clearly and effectively. There are 6 tasks assigned in this section and 20 minutes are given to complete those tasks.
- Section 4: Writing- You need to write an essay based on reading and listening section tasks. This section tests your ability to plan, write and convey relevant information in an essay format. There are two tasks and 50 minutes are given to finish those tasks.
Registration for the TOEFL iBT (Internet-Based Test)
There are three different ways to register for the TOEFL iBT test:Online registration
Registration by phone
- Step 1: Register at www.ets.org/toefl
- Step 2: Enter all the details as asked on the registration form.
- Step 3: Pay the fees. Pay with a credit/debit card: American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard or VISA.
Call 31-320-239-540 to register for TOEFL test in Germany. Pay with credit/debit card: American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard or VISA; via a PayPal account.Registration by mail
Download and fill out a Registration form for the TOEFL test. Enter all your details and choose a payment method listed on the form. Send the form with your payment to your Registration Center.
ATTN: PTC Registration
P.O. Box 2024
8203AA - Lelystad
Courier Address: Prometric
ATTN: PTC Registration
8223AL - Lelystad
The TOEFL test registration fee in Germany is $240 as of 2014, it is subject to change and additional cost is incurred towards Late fee, cancellation etc..
Scoring and ResultsTOEFL iBT Internet Based Test Score
The TOEFL iBT is scored on a scale of 0 to 120 points. You receive a score from 0 to 30 in each of the four TOEFL test sections, i.e. Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. Your total TOEFL score is the sum of the scores from the four sections. In addition to the scores, the applicant will also receive an official score record that includes your performance feedback at all the levels/tasks. The TOEFL IBT test score is valid for two years but the test can be taken as many times as you desire.
For Special test arrangements/ accommodation, the candidate must register online by mail and fill out a registration form. These special sittings as a result of medical conditions or disabilities are made available only if the candidate provides the evidence to support the request.